Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the mission of the American Anti-Vivisection Society?
A. The mission of AAVS is to unequivocally oppose and work to end experiments on animals and oppose all forms of cruelty to animals.

Q. How do I contact AAVS?
A. E-mail us at, or write to us at 801 Old York Road, Suite 204, Jenkintown, PA 19046. Our toll-free phone number is (800)SAY-AAVS.

Q. What is vivisection?
A. Vivisection is the act of cutting into, dissecting, or injuring animals for purposes of scientific investigation. The term 'vivisection' is also used to broadly describe animal experimentation.

Q. What is the Corporate Standard of Compassion for Animals (the Standard)?
A. This is an internationally recognized no-animal-testing standard, administered by the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program. The Standard provides consumers with the highest level of assurance that a personal care, household, or cosmetic product is completely free of new animal testing. To comply, a company must provide written documents from its manufacturers and ingredient suppliers declaring that no component has been tested on animals after an unchangeable date. These commitments are renewed annually, and companies must be open to independent audits.

All of the companies listed on our website and in our Compassionate Shopping Guide have signed onto the Leaping Bunny Program.

Q. How do I request a free Compassionate Shopping Guide?
A. Click here!

Q. What are the alternatives to animal testing?
A. Examples of non-animal methods include the use of pre-existing data; physical and chemical analysis; mathematical and computer models; in vitro (in glass) systems using human cell, tissue, and organ cultures; epidemiology; post-marketing surveillance; human and veterinary clinical research; and human volunteers.

These methods are frequently chosen not only because they do not involve animals, but also because they are the most precise and sophisticated methods available.

Q. What should I do if I have evidence of the mistreatment of animals used in research, testing, or education?
A. These concerns should be communicated directly to the facility's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. If the facility involved receives federal funding, you should also contact the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare at the National Institutes of Health . In addition, if the incident involves species covered by the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), you should also contact the United States Department of Agriculture.

If the incident involves animals who are not covered by the AWA (for example, birds, rats, and mice bred for use in research) and the research is not funded by the National Institutes of Health, you can look into state or local anti-cruelty laws that may apply.

Q. What should I do if I don't want to dissect animals in the classroom?
A. Contact Animalearn , the education division of AAVS, for information on dissection, students' rights, and humane education, and ask about our free alternative loan program, The Science Bank

Q. How do I become a member of AAVS? Are donations tax-deductible?
A. Please visit our membership page to find out more about becoming a member. All donations to AAVS are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.

Q. Can you help me make a planned gift to AAVS?
A. More information about the Caroline Earle White Society and planned giving can be found on our planned giving page.

Q. What is AAVS EIN?
A.Our EIN is 23-0341990

Be Active for Animals
Support TLC for Chimps
Support aavs's sanctuary fund
Support AAVS
Ending the Use of Animals in Science